Privacy: The Lost Frontier

In both my previous class and this one, one topic keeps coming up; and that is the idea of privacy.  But i feel, it is no longer up for discussion...



Let me start off by saying that I take quite a one-sided view on this rhetoric. I believe (almost) wholly that utilising web 2.0 is synonymous with giving up some level of privacy. And if you employ some sort of social media, I feel that privacy could be thrown out altogether. While many may propose the counter-argument that privacy could be controlled with the proper use of privacy settings, or setting up the account under a pseudonym, I'd like to argue that it is practically impossible for the average consumer.

And I am not the only one who thinks so. Scott McNealy of Sun Microsystems stated "that privacy no longer existed and that users should get over it", and Mark Zuckerberg was quoted as saying"that the age of privacy is over". 

For many, the benefits free applications, free access to sites, or the hassle-free experience when shopping means that many are willing to trade the personal information for those benefits. How many click "Log In Through Facebook" to have access to a article you want? Or, allow Facebook/Twitter/Youtube to access your LinkedIn data or Facebook profiles just so you wouldn't have to set up a new account? Or, allowing sites to save cookies with your username, password, credit card number and shopping habits (Amazon's 'One-click' ring a bell?)?

I do.

I would like to think I am the average consumer. And like many before me who checks the "I have read and agree to Terms and Conditions", without actually reading the terms and conditions, I too, will agree to some random site accessing my Facebook profile, without reading what they are actually accessing. More importantly, many of these sites share information (you probably agreed to it, without knowing). Your applications keep data of addresses, names and dates when you make a reservation. This same information is used by other similar companies when sending you emails about events and store discounts!

Identity of 'skank' blogger revealed

This URL shares on even if you are able to take all the right steps in not letting any personal information slip, there is someone who can. In this case, it was Google. You may argue that the blogger deserved it because she was malicious, but don't you think that it such a slippery slope? What I see as malicious may not be to you. 

In summary of my little rant, there is only one true way to online privacy, and that is staying off it. Yeah, I didn't think that is possible either...

Don’t Expose Yourself: A Guide to Online Privacy

And this site shows how much the internet already knows about us.

Josh, out.

Comments

  1. I'm always amazed/horrified when I think about just how much personal info I've intentionally/unintentionally given out on the internet. And especially on social media. I'm startled by that video in the Wall Street Journal link you posted, just like the folks in the video. It's jarring to realize how much info you share whether you mean to or not. But I'm also apparently a glutton for punishment because I know I couldn't be an 'off the grid' type person...so I guess we'll just have to take our chances?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? That video totally got me too! While I think it is necessary for privacy laws and 'defenses' to catch up, I don't see it as being possible. So, it boils down to hoping that you don't become a target for people with malicious intent.

      Delete
  2. True! Agree with you. Unless you do not go online. Otherwise, you will leave traces to be tracked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stuff that he's showing them in that WSJ video -- that's all likely info that is online whether you use social media or not. I'm always most disturbed by what is shared without my express permission / what I have no control over. Voter registration and party affiliation = public record. Home ownership (your address, co-owners, what you paid, your property taxes) = public information. With your address, your utility info can be looked up online (at least in Tallahassee). Marriage and divorce records. Race times (if you're a runner). It's all there even if you never go online yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Minority Report

Welcome Everybody!