Live Streaming

A fellow blogger from class, Jerome, shared about live streaming in his first post and showed the commercial applications of it. This week, I was introduced to a new site called Periscope. It was the first time I was hearing about it.

While I had never heard of Periscope, I have heard of the numerous ones that the people from China have made famous, and those used in Singapore. Some include WeChat, Yudou and Panda TV. But after exploring Periscope, I have come to realise that while the user-interface may be different, the functions are largely the same. While I'll admit that I do not understand why people would pay for any of the "live shows", I could see the utility in using these as a platform for accessibility. This allows educators to connect to students across various locations and timezones. It also works as a great collaboration tool.

live-streaming-graph

And if you are not convinced of its utility, and even commercial applications, the graph above shows the usage rates for the applications used in Chine. Note, the numbers on left are millions of monthly active users.

Josh, out.

Comments

  1. Oh, I had no idea live streaming is so popular in China. I need to ask my friends to keep up with the times. Btw, China has too many people, I guess that's why there are millions of users per month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Minority Report